Push Your Boundaries
Why Study This Mantra...You will learn to do hard things. To push your limits. And to discover your true desires and passions in the process.
It's easy to get comfortable. And we don't mean laying in a hammock. We mean familiarity. You have a daily routine, a drive to work, a packed lunch, a way you relate to loved ones. And where there's familiarity, there's a sense of control. Predictability.
Comfort is a healthy part of your life. But comfort inhibits growth. Comfort is stuck. And comfort can be disengaging.
Leaving your comfort zone means stepping into the realm of new possibilities and opportunities. More than that, it's where the greatest treasures of your life exist, waiting for you. Push your boundaries and you'll improve, learn new things, find new opportunities, build confidence, and tap your life's full potential. So what are you waiting for?
This month, you'll develop an ability to leave your comfort zone, to treat all of life as an experiment, and to push your boundaries as a new way to learn what you really desire. See you on the other side!
Before you begin...
Before you start these practices and challenges, take a moment to rate yourself on this mantra. Give yourself a score from 1-10 (10 being the highest).
Do this again at the end of a month of practices and challenges. How much have you grown?
Today, I will push myself until it hurts. I will repeat that process over and over. I will measure my progress however small. This will stimulate my mind and body, awaken my passion, and call upon every ounce of my grit and determination. My ultimate reward is a greater sense of self – confidence, learning, respect, awareness and strength.
I will consider the following suggestions for boundary pushing. I will find the ones that resonate with me and try them out this month:
- Initiate: I will do something no one asked me to do and initiate without postponing
- Volunteer: I will respond when someone asks for help
- Lead: I will be an informal / unofficial leader or mentor
- Change: I will pursue a new opportunity and embrace the unknown
- Commit: I will take on a little bit more than I think I can handle, then commit to doing the work
- Dream: I will imagine and visualize in detail what it would be like to reach the next level
- Mimic: I will look at how others have reached where I want to go and imitate them
- Inspire: I will find something that inspires and/or motivates me into action
- Push: I will push myself to exhaustion
- Ask: I will seek out help from my community, a mentor, or a coach where it might improve my chances
- Question: I will question my limiting beliefs, their source, and their validity
Make a list of things that scare the absolute hell out of you. Think of things that your inner voice would say, "It would be INSANE if I did that!" Things that push you way out of your comfort zone... and into the realm of new possibilities and opportunities. You can do this in your journal.
Only YOU know the things that belong on this list, but your list might include things like:
- Telling your longtime crush how you really feel
- Taking singing lessons
- Doing standup comedy
- Traveling to another country alone
- In a relationship, it might be standing up and sharing a truth that might rock the boat